Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It.



Released: 1990
Starring: Harry Anderson, Dennis Christopher, Richard Masur, Annette O'Toole, Tim Reid, John Ritter, Richard Thomas, Tim Curry
Run Time: 192 Minutes

"You wanna a balloon Georgie"

Without a doubt on of my all time favourite films (Don’t start I know it was a TV movie but it still counts as a movie), based on my favourite book by Stephen King, I first saw this film when I was five and it gave me nightmares, I read the book for the first time when I was 18 and it gave me nightmares after that went back and watched the film again and found how much I loved it.

This films main theme is fear and overcoming it, the villain of the piece is a menacing entity know only at first as ‘IT’ who can take the form of your worst fear, but for most of the time he stalks the town of Derry under the guise of ‘Pennywise the Dancing Clown’ (here in lies my fear of clowns) he is the eater of worlds and of children who appears every 25-30 years to feed and with It’s ascent so comes a veil of violence and hate over the town.

It is set in the summer of 1960 and the ‘present’ day 1990 in the small township of Derry, Maine. The protagonists of the film are the "Losers Club" (Bill, Beverly, Richie, Eddie, Ben, Stan, and Mike) a group of outcasts who slowly gravitate towards each other and find comfort, acceptance and safety with each other, as they all have encountered ‘IT’.

Although the film is based in the horror genre it also deals with issues such as poverty, racism and domestic violence.

The child actors are the standout in this film (particularly Emily Perkins and Jonathan Brandis) as I truly believed in their friendship and the bond that ultimately saves them.

The other standout is Tim Curry’s performance as Pennywise, he is quite terrifying in this role all the little details his movements his voice all add up to a chilling performance.

The movie follows the novel almost to the letter, small things are missing and one major point is changed/left out, possibly it wasn’t allowed for in the budget or maybe to hard to interpret faithfully to the screen, either way as a lover of the book I didn’t find it at all

I could talk about this film forever but i wont all i will say is RENT, BUY OR ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD IT WHATEVER IT TAKES BUT SOMEHOW SEE THIS FILM

Follow Me To It On IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment